The federal government says Anita Anand, Minister of Foreign Affairs, will travel to Washington, D.C. Thursday to meet with her U.S. counterpart, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, to discuss continental security and other global priorities.
This as talks on a trade deal continue between U.S. and Canada.
Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe said on Wednesday that people need to understand the old deal is no longer on the table.
Moe was taking questions in Prince Albert after the First Ministers meeting with Prime Minister Mark Carney.
Moe said, “The federal government needs to find the best path forward so that we can retain industries that are currently employing Canadians wherever they might be. To expand industries and specifically in Saskatchewan that’s the energy, mining, and ag value-added industries as well as the manufacturing industry largely in the ag sector or the mining sector.”
He said Canada needs to have preferred market access to the country’s largest market and largest trading partner.
Nearly $20 billion dollars in tariffs -set to be implemented at midnight last night on Canadian goods – on everything from hockey sticks to honey – had an 11th hour reprieve after the U.S. President announced a new trade deal had been made.
Moe said in regard to the 5 per cent of the economy, which is affected by sectoral tariffs, it is imperative that some reductions are negotiated in those industries. He also said Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked provinces to consider changes to procurement rules when it comes to putting U.S. alcohol back on liquor store shelves.
The Premier pointed out that doesn’t affect Saskatchewan or Alberta because the two provinces never banned American booze but left it up to the consumer to decide, however eight other provinces which banned U.S. alcohol will have to determine if the decision will be reversed.






















