denisismagilov / Depositphotos.com
Nearly $20 billion dollars in tariffs set to be implemented at midnight tonight on Canadian goods, on everything from hockey sticks to honey, had an 11th hour reprieve after the U.S. President announced a new trade deal had been made.
While taking questions outside of the White House in Washington, D.C., today (Wednesday) U.S. President Donald Trump commented on the state of Canada-U.S. trade negotiations.
“They were going to get a 50 per cent tariff on everything starting today and we’ve held it back three days. It is still subject to finalization of documents. So subject to the finalization of documents we have a deal with Canada. I think it’s a very good deal for both parties. It’s great for our farmers. Our farmers will no longer be held up because they were being hurt very badly by Canada.”
Also taking questions from reporters in Washington today Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said on the question of supply-management he is very confident in the ongoing discussions as they finalize the final text. He said Prime Minister Marc Carney has made it clear the supply management regime remain entirely intact and LeBlanc is confident that is the case.
U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer who spoke alongside LeBlanc says he is confident the agreement not only protects American workers, American jobs, American supply chains but also strengthen the North American economy.






















