Assistant Commissioner of the Saskatchewan RCMP Curtis Zablocki says they are committed to finding out what exactly took place April 6th. That’s the day a Humboldt Broncos team bus, going north on the thoroughfare that is Highway 35, collided with a semi traveling west on Highway 335. 16 people were killed and 13 were injured.
An actual bus and semi were brought in Thursday to recreate the accident. Zablocki says they do know the semi was in the intersection at the time of the collision, that the road conditions were clear and the sun was shining at the time of the crash.
Other factors the Assistant Commissioner would only say are part of the investigation include: truck driver experience; whether the semi was stopped or stalled; whether the truck was turning; whether the semi was over-weight as well as the trees growing on the corner of that intersection.
Assistant Commissioner Zablocki says the engine control modules from both vehicles have been sent to California for further analysis, “These engine control modules have the ability to record pre-collision data including speed and any changes in speed, the RPM of the engines and the application of brakes.”
Other facts so far from the investigation: over 5,500 photos have been taken, 3D technology is being used as well as unmanned aerial vehicles to gather evidence and analyze every aspect of the scene. Over 50 interviews have been conducted including the driver of the semi, some of the victims, independent witnesses, the owner of the trucking company and more interviews are planned. Seven collision reconstructions and five collision analysts took part in the Thursday recreation and the Assistant Commissioner says this investigation, given its magnitude, has been given priority. And the semi driver, who is not in custody and was not hurt in the accident, is in regular contact with RCMP officers.
The Saskatchewan Health Authority has an update on the patients being cared for that were victims of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash with a semi.
As of Thursday afternoon, 6 people are still in hospital in Saskatoon and 2 remain in critical condition. Canadian Press reports that one of the players, Ryan Straschnitzi of Airdrie, Alberta has been transferred to Foothills Hospital in Calgary. He was paralyzed from the chest down.